About BBCR

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Tonight - Feb. 17, 2010

To cook and not to clean, that is the question...

Divorce is not a very exciting endeavor, save the fact that it has forced and encouraged me to be both dad and mom (in a way). From, cooking to cleaning, washing and ironing, it's all me...yeah! Thank God that I have a doting mom who lives 20 minutes away. While I enjoy all things cheffery, my achilles heel is the cleaning aspect, which extends from doing the dishes to actually washing the potaotes, and rinsing the herbs. I have no desire to sicken my children (though sick children can be a dream to parent and snuggle), the prospect of slaving over the sink has no appeal to me. I have pondered hiring a maid, marrying again (for the wrong reasons) or just living an incredibly unsanitary lifestyle. Once again, kids and salmonella apparently do not mix...

So tonight on the menu will be a cast iron cornbread, filled with shallots, garlic and semi-sharp cheddar cheese. Why cast iron, you may ask? No soap for the clean up, a small victory for me. I cannot serve a straight bread dinner, so it will be accompanied with a chili type experience which will flesh itself out as it is being cooked. Also on the menu is a "Chore-session" for my six year old daughter, not slave labor....just a chore. On the docket...dishwashing.

No comments:

Post a Comment